A damaged roof not only puts the rest of your home at risk for additional damages and expensive repairs, but it’s also a safety hazard. It’s especially important to get ahead of residential roof repairs on your Milwaukee home due to extreme winter weather. The last thing you want is to find out you have a leak during a snow or ice storm. Not only will winter conditions make roof repairs more difficult, but they can also make small problems escalate quickly. This will rack up your repair bill and potentially even cause more permanent damage to the rest of your home. To make sure this doesn’t happen, reach out to a dependable Milwaukee roofing company to perform an inspection and make sure everything is in working order before the temperatures drop.
Residential Roof Repairs to Get Ahead Of
Just because you haven’t noticed any obvious signs that you’re in need of residential roof repair services doesn’t mean damages don’t exist. You can perform inspections yourself on the interior and exterior of your home, but if you want to be sure, turning to the experts is safest. Keep an eye out for the following key indicators of the following most popular roof issues for signs that you have a repair you need to get ahead of.
Missing or damaged shingles need to be replaced immediately. If you notice any of the following signs, your shingles are no longer providing adequate protection to your home:
- Buckling. When a shingle buckles it has a concaved, wavy appearance. Buckled shingles can easily be torn off if winds are high enough. Buckling usually is the result of aging or poor installation. If you can see that any of your shingles are buckling from the ground, have a residential roof repair company take a look to confirm.
- Bare spots or missing granules. Shingles that look bare compared to others likely have missing granules. Granules can be washed away over time due to poorly designed drainage systems.
- Missing shingles. The absence of shingles compromises the entire structure of your roof. Missing shingles can allow water to enter your attic and weaken your roof.
- Curling shingles. Shingles can curl from overheating or old age. If these don’t get replaced they often become rigid causing them to eventually break.
Even if you haven’t noticed dripping or puddles of water within your home, that doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t have a leak. Minor leaks can slowly drip and cause damage over time. This is why an annual roof inspection is wise, as you can’t always see issues just by looking up. One sign you may not have thought to look for is stains on your ceiling. If you notice even the smallest stain, it’s possible there is a leak and your roof needs a closer look.
Roof flashing can appear to be sturdier than shingles or tiles because it’s made out of metal. Though it is designed to be strong, it can show signs of wear and accrue damages over time. Acid rain, wind, hail, severe heat, and heavy snow can all have a negative impact on roof flashing. Indicators of damage include:
- Small holes.
- Rust or corrosion.
- Internal leaks near windows, fireplaces, skylights, or in your attic.
- Missing pieces.
- Cracks, dents, or bends.
- Mold or staining.
If you have noticed a musty smell or blotchy stains in your attic you may be dealing with a mold infestation. This could be the sign of a damaged roof or an excess of water due to a blockage. Ice dams, poor insulation, and damaged roofing may cause moisture to seep into your roof and cause root rot and mold growth. Residential roof repair experts have the experience to be able to assess the signs and locate the source causing the mold. If you see any signs or smell something that could be mold, contact a roofing company right away.
Why Not Wait on Residential Roof Repair?
It may be tempting to put off roof repairs because you don’t want to make the expense or think you have enough time before winter comes. However, the longer you wait on repairs, the worse it could get. What may have started as a quick fix could turn into an entire slew of issues that could even surpass the opportunity for repair.
Over The Top Roofing can help with any and all residential roof repair in Milwaukee you need. Give us a call today to set up an inspection or inquire about services!