Arriving at your Milwaukee vacation home to discover that the roof is leaking can put a real damper on your well-deserved break. It’s even worse when you’ve rented it out and your guests arrive to sodden floors and wrecked furniture.
If you’re not sure if you need a roofing contractor for your property right now, consider this:
- Most roofs should last between 20 and 30 years. High winds, torrential rain, and hail can shorten this lifespan.
- If your roof is nearing its expiration date, try to get it replaced during the dry season. Wisconsin’s blustery winter weather means delays and difficulty that will cost more.
Here’s how to hire a roofing contractor to give you an honest appraisal and solve your rainy-day dilemmas.
The biggest obstacle when you need to replace the roof on your vacation home is the fact that you are not there to oversee the work. And it’s almost impossible to make use of a contractor that you know from your hometown.
Fortunately, it is easy to find a reputable local roofing contractor to see to the task at hand.
Get in touch with any other vacation property owners in the area and ask them for referrals. A local realtor may be able to assist with advice, or you may have friends in the area who can recommend someone.
Also, contact your insurance company. They will have a list of trusted contractors in the Milwaukee area. If your insurance is paying for the roof, they should arrange for an adjuster to meet the contractor on site to discuss costs beforehand.
Reviews and Credentials
If you are going to be managing the process yourself, you’ll need to do a little more work beforehand. The internet is a wonderful source of reviews and ratings for artisans and contractors, so do some research online.
And remember: The best roofing contractors are members of The National Roofing Contractors Association. It’s easy to check if the roofing contractor you’re considering is a member on this web page.
Ask Some Questions
When you have located a few contractors that look aboveboard, get them on the phone and interview them.
Apart from the basic questions to ask any roofing contractor, there are a few extra things you should check. These are:
- Ask if you can call previous customers for references.
- Do they install leak barriers and drip edges on every roof?
- What is the cleanup procedure for each job?
- Will they provide a written contract for the job?
- What are the payment terms?
- Will they provide a detailed timeline for the job?
If you’re satisfied with their answers, ask them to visit your property and provide a written estimate, as well as a completion date for the project.
As you research contractors, remember:
- Be sure to get at least three estimates from different contractors before you hire someone.
- Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when reviewing the estimates.
- Take aspects such as warranty, materials and any ongoing maintenance plans into consideration.
Most importantly, choose a contractor who has a reputation for sticking to their project schedule. You don’t want to walk into a construction zone when you arrive for your vacation.
How to Hire a Roofing Contractor You Can Trust
If you are still concerned about how to hire a roofing contractor for your Milwaukee vacation home, there is an easy solution: contact us! You can check out our page of frequently asked questions, or call us to discuss your needs and get a free estimate.
We’re happy to add you to our list of satisfied customers!